RPGM Unreal Engine Onhold [DEVELOPEMENT] "Ashley Naked Mission" (ENF / HUMILIATION ) (2D ART )

bigbootyluver69

Dec 4, 2018
I can't decide whether to continue the game on RPG Maker or switch to Unreal Engine. On one hand, I've put so much work into RPG Maker with plugins, pixel art, and mapping. But on the other hand, using Unreal Engine would allow me to create a 3D game, which could be more fun in terms of gameplay and offer something different from the usual games we see, making it more original.
"Time sink fallacy" is a real bitch sometimes, and it's tough to essentially throw all your hard work away. Switching to Unreal Engine definitely has it's upsides, that's what I switched to after spending a few months trying different methods on creating a game. I'd say the main thing for me deciding to use Unreal Engine was 3-D modeling vs. drawing. For me I can create a 3-D faster, and more detailed than I could drawing 2-D hence why I decided to dump Renpy/RPGM for a 3-D engine. Granted I only spent a few months in Renpy/RPG marker, but the past month or so learning Unreal I know I can do exactly what I want without any limitations I was seeing before.

The main thing you have going to keep using RPGM is your art, there are so many RPGM games with 3-D "art" that I just ignore 99% of them. The ones I tend to support or watch are the ones with their own art style.

Maybe for a future game think about switching to UE? But keep this project in RPGM?

Ideski34

Jun 17, 2021
Personally I think it's best to stick to RPGM for this project and maybe move onto Unreal after this is complete. You've already put some work into it and it would be a shame to lose all of it now in favor of 3D graphics that in a lot of other games don't even look good.

I'd rather play a stylized pixel art 2D game that has its own style than a 3D game with no art direction.

I'll use the drawings I've made regardless if this is RPGM or Unreal Engine.
If I see a sex scene that's literally just an image, it makes more sense for it in a 2D pixel art game than in a 3D game where I'd rather have it animated in real time or it'll throw me out of immersion. Just my opinion though.

Besides, if you keep starting over instead of focusing on finishing the project, you might never accomplish anything, as some users above me already said.

0fzyx

Jul 14, 2020
I find 2D games way better, just because it's a lot easier to make a good 2D game than a 3D one. Most of the ones I've seen are pretty bad IMO. However, both Unreal and Unity are quite good for 2D games too, and I prefer them both over RPGM so much. The tooling is just amazing, especially the tilemap support in Unity (not sure if they have it in Unreal). But you also have to build a lot of things from scratch.

Not finishing projects due to new ideas always popping up was mentioned, and I definitely agree, but really do what you enjoy most. Things always suck in the end if you do them the way you have to and not the way you like.

Reactions: Maid2Serve

cornxxx

Aug 11, 2019
Thank you all for your feedback.

I know many of you prefer the composition with RPGM because the pixel art I showed is specially made for the game and can't be found anywhere else, adding a ton of originality. But honestly, that's the only positive point for me.

Apart from a few excerpts, I have never shown you clean gameplay because there isn't any. The only RPGM gameplay is talking to NPCs, traversing maps, and sometimes dodging NPCs a bit like Naked Order, with occasional mini-game phases I coded with JavaScript as before. But after testing my game for hundreds of hours, I swear the game is not fun, and it would be better for everyone to turn it into a VN to save time from the really boring gameplay.

If I continue with RPGM, I would need to find a way to shorten things, make the gameplay attractive and fun.

When I learned Unreal Engine, for the first time, I felt like I was creating a real game, doing something fun and quite original, having the power to create a game without limits, unlike RPG Maker.

RPG Maker is good for simple games, but if you want something more complicated, you have to learn the horrible language of JavaScript while dealing with the software's restrictions, which is difficult, slow, annoying, and horrible to do.

This aftertoon I tried to implement what it would looks if I were to continue with Unreal engine, this is how the game would look ( This is a very draft thing, nothing serious ) :
How the game would look with Unreal Engine would be more something like this if this make more sense, for now, it's very rough, but imagine on the side we would have stats, our character animated in 2D, etc... We would still have a bit of an RPG Maker affinity with the top-down view, and we could also modify the camera view to make the world aspects more visible, not to mention the hundreds of animations that can be imported and assigned to NPCs, etc... But 2D art remains a priority, which means the scenes will be drawings, even during dialogues, 2D sprites will appear on the sides of the screen, there will be nothing 3D. Not to mention the multiple opportunities to evolve the gameplay, sometimes switching to a first-person view, a closer view, 2D mini-games more easily codable than on RPGM, so many ideas for fun gameplay.

Honestly, I have much more fun creating a game on Unreal Engine, both coding and mapping.

But don't worry, I didn't make my mind yet, this is just a theorycall talk for now I am still on the rpgm game, if I end up continuing with Unreal Engine, I will never abandon the project on RPGM. I can always do something with it, like a mini-game on an arcade machine, for example, or a DLC game. It's never lost.

1080hola

Nov 3, 2017

I know many of you prefer the composition with RPGM because the pixel art I showed is specially made for the game and can't be found anywhere else, adding a ton of originality. But honestly, that's the only positive point for me.

Apart from a few excerpts, I have never shown you clean gameplay because there isn't any. The only RPGM gameplay is talking to NPCs, traversing maps, and sometimes dodging NPCs a bit like Naked Order, with occasional mini-game phases I coded with JavaScript as before. But after testing my game for hundreds of hours, I swear the game is not fun, and it would be better for everyone to turn it into a VN to save time from the really boring gameplay.

If I continue with RPGM, I would need to find a way to shorten things, make the gameplay attractive and fun.

When I learned Unreal Engine, for the first time, I felt like I was creating a real game, doing something fun and quite original, having the power to create a game without limits, unlike RPG Maker.

RPG Maker is good for simple games, but if you want something more complicated, you have to learn the horrible language of JavaScript while dealing with the software's restrictions, which is difficult, slow, annoying, and horrible to do.

This aftertoon I tried to implement what it would looks if I were to continue with Unreal engine, this is how the game would look ( This is a very draft thing, nothing serious ) :
How the game would look with Unreal Engine would be more something like this if this make more sense, for now, it's very rough, but imagine on the side we would have stats, our character animated in 2D, etc... We would still have a bit of an RPG Maker affinity with the top-down view, and we could also modify the camera view to make the world aspects more visible, not to mention the hundreds of animations that can be imported and assigned to NPCs, etc... But 2D art remains a priority, which means the scenes will be drawings, even during dialogues, 2D sprites will appear on the sides of the screen, there will be nothing 3D. Not to mention the multiple opportunities to evolve the gameplay, sometimes switching to a first-person view, a closer view, 2D mini-games more easily codable than on RPGM, so many ideas for fun gameplay.

Honestly, I have much more fun creating a game on Unreal Engine, both coding and mapping.

But don't worry, I didn't make my mind yet, this is just a theorycall talk for now I am still on the rpgm game, if I end up continuing with Unreal Engine, I will never abandon the project on RPGM. I can always do something with it, like a mini-game on an arcade machine, for example, or a DLC game. It's never lost.
I really love the look of this. Would working in unity allow greater flexibility with outfits?

potatosauce

Feb 26, 2021

I will admit I was more on the side of sticking to RPG M and really wanting to keep the hand drawn art. However after reading your multiple reasons for being interested in switch to UE, I think this is more the way to go. Especially if you're feeling more fulfilled and like you're actually making an interesting game. Plus it does allow you to have more options to include into your game. Ultimately it is your decision and you've been pretty transparent about this whole thing, so I'll trust whatever route you decide to go with.

As for the patreon thing, the way I see it you could go two routes with this. If you decide to go with a patreon, you open the door to people being overly critical of everything especially the long wait time. Unless you got the mental fortitude for shit like that, that will bog down on your mental. So as a substitute that would also be tedious, is you could have a private patreon that's strictly for people who are interested in supporting you. I don't know how you could go about doing this aside from vetting people individually but it exists as an option. (I would absolutely be a supporter btw) Second route is to go with what you said, just have a one time payment for the game.

Lastly I do have some things that I'd find "original and hottest" for exhib/humiliation game. For starters one thing I'd like to see more consentual themes. Cause having every single person in the world constantly looking to rape the protagonist is something I've personally grown tired of, it's over done especially when it's the whole game. However it's not something I'd totally remove from h-games either. Day time, if you streak, you avoid people to avoid altering the mc's reputation, at night you avoid people to avoid being raped.

I bring it up because sometimes I just want to see the girl walking around naked in public, her being seen, getting turned on or just simply enjoying it. It's a nice build up and a nice change of pace instead of just walking out expecting to be raped. In the day time, people around her could start seeing her as she's fulfilling her quests, and they're also interested in participating but won't do anything without her say so. It starts gradual and then it could just become the norm. I think that'd make it more interesting. Also another thing I'd like, as I rarely ever see it, is as more people she runs into while she's naked see her, the more they think she wants to be naked and are willing or just want her to be naked whenever she's in their area. i.e. a store, her own school, a theatre etc.

I also really like seeing deep pet play. All these are just the tl:dr versions, if you'd like to discuss any of these in further detail I'll happily do it in DM's

Anyways, imo I think switching to UE will be the best choice for you, but if you ultimately decide to stick with RPG M I'll still support your decidsion with what you think is best.

Reactions: cornxxx

Trashman94

Dec 6, 2018
Consider my concerns assuaged, and it looks like you've got a real dev plan and you're not throwing too much out with this change, and it seems to have got your inspiration going. Looks good to me, mate, give 'er your best!

YeSMan129

Sep 10, 2021

I love both of your unreal engine or RPG just hope u will keep thing up in the future. I will be waiting no matter how long it take

Ergast

May 31, 2017
On one hand, I think it is more aesthetically pleasing the rpg version (I'm a sucker for pixel art)... but your reasons are solid for changing into unreal. So do whatever you think will be best for the project. If you are having more fun with unreal and thus are more motivated with the project, go for it.

Davos2

Aug 29, 2020
You're doing great with both. If you enjoy unreal more, do that. Doubt anyone wants to see this abandoned.

Mike145

Jul 14, 2018
Unreal can be pretty daunting when you start, but once you learn it properly, you'll have infinitely more options than you would with RPGM.

I assume you're an artist using BP visual scripting and not touching the C++ side. Without any background in software engineering, Blueprints can get quite messy very quickly. (it's also true even if you have it) On the official Epic channel, there's a decent video on how to "despaghettify" your BPs, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't mention how to create functions or interfaces. I'd also definitely recommend checking out the difference between hard and soft references if that video doesn't cover it.

Reactions: cornxxx

Arikania

Feb 10, 2023
Hey everyone, it's been a while. I've been working on the project a bit more, although I can't give a definite date yet, I'm still working on it.

I can't decide whether to continue the game on RPG Maker or switch to Unreal Engine. On one hand, I've put so much work into RPG Maker with plugins, pixel art, and mapping. But on the other hand, using Unreal Engine would allow me to create a 3D game, which could be more fun in terms of gameplay and offer something different from the usual games we see, making it more original.

I've been thinking about setting up a Patreon system, but the more I think about it, the more I realize I might not meet the posting schedule. So, I've decided that if I finish the game (there will be a demo before that), I'll sell it for $5-10 as a one-time purchase based on the content, and provide updates on itch.io or Steam. I know it's not wise to mention this on a game cracking site, but I hope you understand. I also plan to use this system to pay for official translators in multiple languages, such as Japanese for sales on DLsite.

Anyway, one thing for sure is that the game is progressing slowly but steadily, and I'll use the drawings I've made regardless if this is RPGM or Unreal Engine. This time, I've focused more on humiliation/yuri events with bullies at school, including a humiliation scene filmed by a female classmate.

Otherwise
I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you find original or the hottest in a humiliation/exhibition game.
Also If you have any ideas, it would be cool to hear them so I can try to draw them and integrate them into the game if possible

Thanks again for the people who are still reading this thread even if I don't post much
I'd choose a 3D game over RPGM any time, especially with a game like this; RPGM exhib games with 2D and 3DCG art come like thirteen per dozen today. 3D would help your game stand out, and fit in a far too little explored niche, imo.

specificwants

Nov 12, 2021
I'd choose a 3D game over RPGM any time, especially with a game like this; RPGM exhib games with 2D and 3DCG art come like thirteen per dozen today. 3D would help your game stand out, and fit in a far too little explored niche, imo.
I kind of agree. Unless the 2DCG is absolutely top-notch it would be hard for it to stand out. Unless there was a bit more going for it like if it were to be a extremely kinky which this doesn't seem to be going that way.

Theorize

Sep 14, 2020
I have no problem with an rpgm game, and the art you've shown looks nice. it would be a shame if you had to start from scratch.